Diablo II: Lord of Destruction, on Linux, using WINE. Bliss :) No better way to get high just after a deadline!
OK, here's what I did. I'm using Fedora Core 4, by the way.
- Install wine. All you need to do is
yum install wine
- Go to the "Graphics" tab. Check "Emulate a virtual desktop", make it 800x600 (max resolution of Diablo II)
- Go to the "Drives" tab. Normally C: and Z: should be added. Click on Add, D: should be added, set the path to /media/cdrecorder (or whatever directory you mount your cdrom into)
- Insert Diablo II CD. It should automount, otherwise mount it.
- I will assume /media/cdrecorder is your cdrom directory. From anywhere outside .media/cdrecorder, run
- Install as usual. When the installer asks for other discs, simply type
ejectat another prompt, and put in the new CD. Remember you must mount the CD (or wait for it to be mounted) before clicking OK inside the installer.
- Run the video test and choose Direct2D (HAL) as your mode (I ran into problems with Direct3D. Maybe it'll work after some tweaking, but hey, this is Diablo).
- Exit the installer.
- Insert Diablo II Expansion CD and install as you did Diablo.
- It'll complain about not finding the CD drive, forget it for now.
- Download your favourite patch from Blizzard.
- Download a NOCD crack for your D2LOD version from GameBurnWorld.
- Your fake Windows/Diablo directory is most likely
~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Diablo II/. Install the NOCD crack as needed into this directory.
- In KDE, go to Control Center -> Desktop -> Window Behavior and set Alt + Left Click on Window to Nothing. Unless you want to play Diablo without picking up items.
- You're all set. Just run
wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Diablo\ II/Diablo\ II.exeand kick some monster ass!